Want to collaborate?

Right now, you can get in touch with me for a few things:
Live Streaming
Speaking at Events
Writing
+ more
Follow

LMTX DEV

I believe in quality.
I do not support "fake it before you make it".
I write about IoT, security, and aws related topics.

My blog: https://www.thingrex.com/
Read more
I'm available for
LMTX's Collections

IoT posts by LMtx

18 Highlights
2022
Jun 16, 2022
What if a smart GPU-powered camera could share (or even sell) its processing capabilities?
Let's imagine an IoT ecosystem where connected devices can share resources. For instance, a GPU-powered camera is active 50% of the time. That means it is idle for 50% of the time == 50% of resources are wasted.
What if some other device (i.e. a smart meter) could use the processing capabilities of that camera?
This statement opens a few interesting questions: * How smart meter could know that the GPU camera provides compute resources? * Should that GPU camera allow any other device to access its resources, or only authorized devices should be allowed to do so? * Is there a way that the GPU camera could benefit from sharing its compute resources?
In the simplest design, all devices would be connected to the same backend. That backed would manage the device registry (including capabilities and real-time status of all devices). In this solution, a smart meter queries the backend for available compute resources. As a result, it receives a list of available devices with respective temporary credentials. The smart meter can decide which resource (device) to consume. It directly connects to the GPU camera to run some analytics on gathered data and receives the output. Used temporary credentials are tied to the identifiers of the consumer (smart meter) and the provider (GPU camera), so it is possible to track the resource usage and reward the camera's owner.
I think that this approach enables interesting business cases and optimizes resources (less idle resources would be wasted).
Smart cities are natural ecosystems where sharing/trading free capacity would be very beneficial.
I am aware that this idea is extremely simplified and there would be many security/privacy/interoperability issues, yet it looks achievable to me.
What do you think?
Read more
Jun 01, 2022
For me sailing is like a meditation - I'm totally disconnected; just wind, sails, and the movement of my boat. I truly can not think about anything while I'm sailing.

It feels great to be offline once in a while!

When I'm back at the shore "reality" strikes back.

I often wonder how to connect my two passions: sailing and IoT.

What was the most interesting project/idea related to sailing and the Internet of Things you heard of?

Any ideas are welcome!
Read more
May 26, 2022
Hello everyone!
To be honest, my latest post is not about connecting a fridge to the internet.
I wanted to present how understanding the actual business case can impact the design of a final solution.
There are multiple ways to achieve the same high-level goal in every Internet of Things initiative.
Experienced consultant invests 70% of time in asking questions and the remaining 30% in designing the actual solution.

https://www.thingrex.com/how_to_connect/
Read more
May 11, 2022
IoT system does not require a dedicated interface, it should extend your existing infrastructure.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KETmFOdV2cs?feature=share

Read more
May 05, 2022
I like the physical representation of computer programs envisioned in the most recent version of Matrix.
On the other hand, every IoT device is a tangible manifestation of software impacting our life.
Fortunately, not every IoT device looks like a Terminator ;)
Read more
May 01, 2022
The other side of the Internet of Things.

I often speak about providing business value using IoT solutions. My code is running on the factory floor equipment, medical devices, and in other environments. But do I really understand the end users?
When medical devices were saving the lives of my kids, I realized that a single firmware/software bug might impact that process.
Not every connected device is life/mission-critical, but someone or something depends on it.
How should your system behave when it can not gather the required data? How should it behave when it can not deliver messages to devices upper/lower in the stack?
Those are not typical business value questions, but how your system handles those cases makes a great difference.
It is hard to truly understand the end users of an IoT system, but there is always someone that depends on your work. How would you feel if you could not make an educated action because you lack data? What would you expect to happen in that scenario?
Living a few days on the other side of the Internet of Things taught me a lot.
Read more
Loading...